Christmas time!

Christmas time!
Time to Decoate the tree!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I realize I'm not going to break Sheldon...

From Michelle: Today I was burping Sheldon after feeding him and I realized: I'm not going to break him. When we brought Sheldon home (all 5 lbs., 7 ozs. of him) I felt like I had to be so careful with him. And I DO have to be careful, but I also have to be firm. I have had the hardest time burping the little guy, and it's because I don't want to hit him "too hard" on the back. Needless to say, I haven't been the best burper because of this. AND, the last two days Sheldon has suffered from some serious gas issues (we strongly suspect he can't handle soy). So, it's become imperative that I burp the little rascal and burp him well. Today I was pounding away on his back and he was rewarding me with this seriously good burps. I followed the back walloping with some leg circles for good measure (learned from Keri when she came to visit). Sheldon was burping and tooting away and he was one happy baby afterward. So, with everything I do with Sheldon, I'm trying to be a bit more firm and less hesitant, because really, that's what he needs from me.

I can't help thinking that it's funny that most of my problem-solving skills these days are directed at how to help my baby with gas, how to soothe him so he doesn't cry, how to correctly interpret his gassy cries from his "I'm hungry cries."

No one can prepare you for what it's like to become a parent. How small your world can become in an instant. I was pregnant for 9 months, and then I wasn't anymore, just like that. There is no transition period. No trial run. Instead, I instantly became a mother...and I'm still learning what that means. Today I learned that being a mother means using a firm hand when necessary, and I will not break little Sheldon in the process.

4 comments:

  1. Gentle, yet firm; when to wait, when to step in. when to hold on, when to let go... yes, parenting is all about balance and learning when to and when not to. It is a challenging and yet joyous journey! I am thankful you can share it with each other and so many wonderful friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I remember when I had Aidan I kept thinking, "you mean they are just going to let me take him home?!" "No one is going to come and check on him or me?!"

    It's definitely an eye opening experience becoming a parent and they definitely have no instruction manual but what I have learned is just as you are getting to know him, he is getting to know you and how you do things and this is why he will end up preferring how you do things and knowing you are Mommy and Daddy.

    Enjoy these moments. They truly go so fast and once you have figured one thing out, a new curve ball is thrown at you. :) ~Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should see Chris burp Jett...it's like he's trying to beat dirt out of a rug...and the little guy seems to actually like it! Sounds like you're doing a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking a little time to write on this blog - it's the highlight of the days when I don't get to see you guys!
    I'm glad you're figuring out the important gas relief moves. When I visited on Monday I looked over at you holding Sheldon and comfortably moving him around and you just look so wonderfully natural after just 2 weeks! Sheldon is one lucky boy to have both of you for parents! I love sharing glimpses of your journey and I'm glad you're taking notes... :) Love and hugs! Keri

    ReplyDelete