Christmas time!

Christmas time!
Time to Decoate the tree!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A new day

On Sunday evening, to try and envision what my days with Sheldon would be like with Michelle back at work, I searched Stay at Home Dad on the net. What I found, both humorous and disheartening, was the acronym for Stay at Home Dad. It instantly became a seed in my mind. As a guy who becomes overly enthusiastic when a freshly planted vegetable shoot pushes through the crust and reaches for the sun's warmth, as a guy who believes he can do anything if only a proper attempt is made, as a guy who loves his wife and son unquestionably, my structure had started to crumble. As much of a blessing and gift as this opportunity would bring to both Sheldon and me, as a traditional man I became quite sahd. I realized, in less than 12 hours my wife would be returning to work. Up to that moment Michelle and I had spent nearly every moment of every day together. We had become a small orb of love and kinship with Sheldon near, if not at the heart of it all. How quickly we would be split into two smaller masses, divided for the sake of a piece of the American dream. I knew I was clinging so tightly to the past nine weeks, and to the idea of who was "suppose" to work, that I was smothering the nucleus of my life. But I felt like the opportunity to be happy with this new challenge had passed so quickly that I had missed the moment like when a seedling shows its thirst and immediate action must be taken to save the small withering life. On Monday morning, as I opened my grasp to release the ash-dry dust I had expected to find there, in its place was the sweetest smelling flower. Instead of a painfully overwhelming sahdness, I received a tiny smile and a coo of happiness that burst into a entire field of roses.

5 comments:

  1. With that kind of love and such a sweet wonderful baby you will do a great job being a stay at home dad. I guess I just call it being a father and you will be glad that you are able to spend all this time with Sheldon and I know that he will be the better for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got an amazing way with words, Pat. I'm so happy that the acronym is simply just that - an acronym...and if you want to call yourself something different (with a better acronym), I say go for it - you can write the rules for your and your family's happiness, as you've already been doing so well! It's just that kind of an opportunity! Love and hugs on this continued adventure! Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wonderful writer! So glad you have time to do some writing as you care for Sheldon and continue to make a home for you and Michelle and him. I look forward to your insights and hearing of your adventures. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy each moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. What a perfect post for this week, leading up to Easter. Just when all is lost, and it seems that what we believed is a lie, there appears a 5th ace. You are an inspiration, both of you. We believe in you and are proud that you are our friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a guy who also stayed home, I hear the point of the sahd folks. But frankly, it was a real gift. A time of bonding and it goes all to fast. So enjoy it man, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete