From Michelle: It's my first mother's day, and yet, I still don't feel like a mom. How is that possible? When does it sink in? Only time will tell. Yesterday I went to a baby shower for Tina (pregnant with twin boys and due in June). I did feel more like a mom there because I could talk baby shop with the other moms. It was actually really fun and I've always dreaded baby showers in the past. Maybe that's a sign I'm starting to feel like a mom. :) It's just interesting that I can go through so many changes -- physically and mentally -- and my whole world can be changed by one little baby -- and yet inside I still feel like the same michelle. In fact I feel about 16 years old on most days. Ha! And yet...I'm different, too. I can see it in myself the most when I'm at work. I returned to work 3 weeks ago and it's actually been very good. I find that I'm more confident and I feel like a mentor to my new coworker, Krista. I think...I feel like a mom. I get stressed, but then I think -- hey, I grew a life inside me! I carried him and protected him for 9 months! I gave birth to him after 13 hours of labor! I'm tough. I'm a mom. I can do this.
On the other hand, I also feel more vulunerable, more emotional. I tear up at the drop of a hat, and not always because I'm sad, but because I just FEEL so much. Something happens when you become a mother. Some opening of spirit, of heart, that can't be undone. It's the best and hardest thing -- becoming a mother. It's my first mother's day, and this is what it means to ME to be a mother.
Maybe you just had different ideas of what it would feel like to be a mom?? You are a beautifully natural mom and I love watching you explore your new role. Sheldon is lucky in every way 'cause he gets the 'same' Michelle mixed with the 'newly expanded' Michelle, too...a priceless combination! Keep writing own 'Mom' book...I really like it so far! :)
ReplyDelete